Monday, December 9, 2013

Tasty Thanksgiving Treats

Sunday, November 24, 2013


Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude and giving thanks. It is also a major food feast. What better time to bring that creativity into some Tasty Thanksgiving Treats. The fun comes from trying new combinations and adding flavorful ingredients. The fun also comes from seeing the satisfaction on the faces of the people who enjoy the eats. Lastly the fun comes from the anticipation and the personal satisfaction that the cook enjoys. Remember, the flavorful eats and the pleasure comes from trying new things that you like. 

     I started with few simple items for my vegan daughter. My tip for the roasted baby red potatoes is after peeling and letting them sit in cold water, drain and microwave for a few minutes. All the potatoes should be golf ball size or slightly smaller. These are the things you can alter but do keep the size consistent. I place potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. I now mix in some crushed garlic, garlic powder and roasted garlic salt. Add fresh ground black pepper to your taste and now include some fresh rosemary (to your taste). Mix well and roast at 350 degrees until outsides are browning and firm, while inside are soft. If there is a flavor or ingredient you like add it. If you do not like the result do something a little different the next time. The experimenting adds to the fun and enjoyment. 

     I use that same bowl to mix broccoli crowns and baby carrots, again seasoning to your desires. A couple of my favorite add-ins here is all spice and soy sauce. You would be amazed by the delicious flavors you get from combinations of ingredients. Made for my vegan daughter, but thoroughly enjoyed by all. 

     The main course was my boneless rib roast. Fresh garlic slices in the meat and worcestershire sauce are a must. Season with salt and pepper and my always ingredient here is the Lipton onion and mushroom soup mix. Rub this all over the meat generously. My new creation this thanksgiving was a healthy dose of pineapple chunks placed all over the rib eye roast. My family, who always enjoy this roast, went over the top this year. “What did you do, Uncle Francis, became the question during and after the meal”. I smiled and said, “I had fun in the kitchen”. I now have another story to add to the “TastyFunTreats”

4 comments:

  1. Francis,

    I so enjoyed this post from beginning to end. It not only had a great introduction, that encompassed a Holiday and one that particularly relates to loved ones and a lot of great food, but you then also included some great tips around the dishes. I loved the conclusion because you continued the personal path and tied it nicely into the point of your blog: Tasty Fun Treats. I thought it was well done and it kept my interest. The only constructive piece of advice, if I may, I would offer is to maybe insert the steps/recipe as a list format....bullet points as an example. It would make it easier to read, follow and not get lost in the rest of the blog. Thank you for sharing some of your "secrets."

    Sincerely,

    Lara L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your interest and good advice. I have been going step by step Lara and did not expect to get this far. Having fun with the TastyFunTreats theme and trying to work my way through the digital tools and the designs. I will attempt to incorporate your suggestion. Thank you also for the help you have given me.

    Francis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post about Thanksgiving Francis. I love getting together with family to cook, eat, chat and watch football. There are so many traditional foods associated with the holiday, many of which are meat, that it is nice to see a different idea come to the table. I am always interested in cooking and an defiantly going to try the recipe idea that you provided. Great work on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome topic .. I love food and it is great to see that other people share that interest. I'll definitely keep up with this blog! Great job Francis!

    ReplyDelete